Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Worry Cure


"But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" - Matthew 6:30

I have always tended to think of this passage from the perspective of my needs, specifically those mentioned in the full passage from Matthew 6, namely food, drink, and clothing. The very direct practical application is not to worry; God will supply all my needs.


This morning, the passage struck me in a different way as I read:


"...your heavenly Father knows that you need them all." (6:32)


By grace, different nuances of this passage were opened to me. Though this passage deals very specifically with food, drink, and clothing, the implications are much more far-reaching. God knows what I need, or put another way; God knows what is absolutely necessary for me today.

If work goes awful for me today, it must be necessary and good.

If Christy and I argue constantly with each other, it must be necessary and ultimately good (not to discount necessary repentance required by our sin).

If progress halts on our house building project, this is necessary and good.


What is the confidence for this assertion? Our heavenly Father knows...


It became more clear to me than ever this morning that worry in any form is an affront to His character and ability. And it also became clear to me that He can meet needs however He chooses. Miracles are not miraculous to Him.
The passage was beautiful this morning because it was finally more about Him than me.

2 comments:

  1. boy am i with you on this one...if we contend that God is sovereign then we must look at Him with belief when circumstances challenge our faith. We must believe that Romans 8:28 is absolutely true because He knows our needs...our truest need is that of restoration-being in relationship with Him the way He designed in the garden. We thank Jesus for giving us the ability to be at peace with God and we thank God for working our lives to meet our need of getting closer to the garden relationship. All these things going on in my life build in perseverence, character, then hope...romans 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And hope keeps us going forward with purpose.

    ReplyDelete