Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bankrupt

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Blessed = happy (deep sense)
Poor in spirit = spirit poor, or no funds in my spiritual account.

When I relinquish the pressure to be something or someone super spiritual, I find deep happiness, because it is then that I am most in sync with the kingdom of heaven (living in the fullness of God's rule/reign/fullness/joy/control/...). The key to relinquishing that pressure is to realize that I am already fundamentally poor in spirit.
I have nothing to offer God. No good works to impress Him. No gift that He didn't first give. No righteousness of my own to be acceptable. I am morally bankrupt before Him, the perfect and holy God. That takes a lot of pressure off, no? Coming to God with the mutual understanding between Him and myself that I will not be bringing Him anything is relieving. Pressure gone, for in the full counsel of Scripture, I understand that only when I realize my absolute ruin before God will I understand my need for His funds to fill my account, namely Christ.

Come empty before God, and then find yourself deeply happy and satisfied as your realize that the pressure to perform for Him is gone...the only way to step out of your kingdom and into His is with nothing to bring as an offering. If I bring my own moral offerings to get in, Christ's death was stupid and frivolous. This is most assuredly not the case.

I find myself bathing in the delights of His kingdom and therefore deeply happy when I acknowledge and embrace my spiritual poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment