Thursday, February 25, 2010

Language Barrier

So I've been to some different countries where English is not the primary tongue. But in most countries, they can speak enough English to communicate with you, but you have to strain, struggle and really watch the mouth pretty intently to catch what they are saying to you in your own language.
Last night, I wasn't in a far-off land visiting people of strange customary dress and eating foods of exotic varieties. But I found myself watching mouths intently, struggling and straining to understand the particular dialect of English they were speaking. It was pure, authentic, unhindered appalachian speak--banter between heavy machinery operators and good country folk . I caught about 20% - enough to respond with appropriate mm-hm's and ahh's and yes's.
I love the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment